And we'd love to buy you a coffee.
We’re looking for a Sales Director and Mechatronics Product Engineer
What is a “Sales Director” at a growing product start-up?
At Fellow, a Sales Director is the link between our products and the incredible retailers that sell them. You are the face and voice of our brand to the outside world… so stay away from garlic.
The Sales Director will lead the entire sales organization and wear two big hats (well, many hats actually, but two will be worn most often). First, you will manage our sales team. All of Fellow’s Sales Managers will report to you and you will be responsible for their success. You’ll provide strategic guidance to ensure that the team is able to hit sales targets and that collectively we are pursuing the highest potential leads. Second, you’ll be responsible for your own book of business. This will include a mix of assigned current accounts and new accounts that you will need to hunt down.
A bit about Fellow
First, what we are not:
Fellow is not a tech start-up and will not be worth 4 billion dollars in three months. Ain’t going to happen folks. Fellow does not offer a free shuttle, onsite meals, or gym memberships. Sorry. Although on occasion you will be required to lift 15 pound shipping boxes, so I guess that counts as a free workout. We just want to be transparent from the get go.
What we are:
Fellow aims to bring thoughtfully designed products to people around the world. Currently, we are focused on coffee products that enhance or simplify the brewing process and experience. For the next year or so coffee/tea/beverage products will be our sole focus. However, Fellow is opportunistic, and once we have launched a successful line of coffee products, we will branch out to serve different markets as opportunities present themselves (i.e., home, kitchen)
A bit about you:
You love to delight the customer and make it your mission to provide excellent customer service to all of your accounts. Aggressive sales goals motivate you instead of intimidate you. At the end of each week you are excited to share your sales numbers with the team. You’re confident and seek out challenges. A “no” to you means that you are just that much closer to a “yes” from the next customer. You have a passion for design and enjoy nerding out over cool features and benefits. You can appreciate the difference between an African coffee and a Central American coffee.
You’re scrappy. The thought of working for Big Business repulses you. Your middle name is “Strategic problem solver who is really good at getting things done.” The reality is there are many things that need to get done and only a couple people to do the lifting. You are quick to help in anyway possible.
- 5+ years of sales experience – preferably selling physical products
- Sales management experience
- Track record of sales success (top 10% of company)
- Prior experience at a start-up is a plus (tells us you are scrappy)
- Undergraduate degree
- Salary + commission based on experience level
Send resume to email@example.com with subject line “Sales Director”.
Mechatronics Product Engineer
Mechatronics Product Engineer
Do you want to take your professional experience beyond a sliver of responsibility like concepts generation, making prototypes or creating presentations? Do you want the responsibility to develop a product that is actually manufactured and used by thousands of people everyday? Fellow is looking for a devoted mechatronics engineer like you.
Fellow’s mission is to help people perfect their ‘liquid craft’ by marrying professional knowledge, relevant functionality and thoughtful design. From the outside, Fellow makes high-end coffee equipment for the world’s best baristas and home enthusiasts. But peeking under the hood reveals many intertwined endeavor that make up the brand, which may help you understand Fellow’s growing attention and future growth ambitions.
Fellow is a small but ‘real’ company: revenue generated via product sales, products available at on- and off-line retailers like Crate & Barrel, Williams Sonoma, West Elm, Amazon, and distributed internationally in over 40 countries. The products have won numerous design awards like international RedDot design award, are featured at MOMA design stores, and available in hundreds of the best cafes across America. Our physical retail store in the heart of Mission district, San Francisco, serves to be a playground to experiment and redefine what ‘customer experience’ really means as a brand; a mashup of a design museum, cooking class, and cafe. International barista champions as well as cafe staff choose Fellow products as their de facto tool of choice, which is a proof that our products are professional grade and friendly to a broader audience.
Fellow team is small but made up of dedicated individuals who bring our own ‘craft’ into the profession: sales and marketing, brand, design and engineering, and cafe operations. Collective experiences come from Blue Bottle, Oracle, IDEO, Intuitive Surgical, GoPro, and Stanford Graduate School of Business, just to name a few.
Born out of a passion in craft, boosted via Kickstarter campaigns, and gained relevance and adoption by professionals and the community, Fellow is at a phase change moment to propel the company forward while deeply grounded in products, brand, and operation.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
As Fellow’s product portfolio expands into more ‘smart’ products, this person plays a significant role as an early member of mechatronics engineer joining Fellow’s small product team. Scope spanning across developing Fellow’s next products to analyzing product misbehaviors, the engineer will have hands-on ‘elbow deep’ involvement, wearing many hats along the entire product development cycle. Significant professional growth is expected.
Responsibilities may include but not limited to:
- Product Development: initiate and own new product development.
- Research: analyze competitive landscape, understand regulatory requirement, investigate technical root cause, and provide recommendations.
- Manufacturing and Quality Control: support production at contract manufactures, incorporate process improvement, document quality control SOP, own sustaining engineering for current products.
The engineer reports to director of Product Design and Engineering.
- 2-4 years of mechatronics hardware experience in consumer electronics, power tools, home appliances (or similar relevant industry)
- Experience in EE system architecture
- Experience in control systems
- Experience in specifying PCB design
- Experience with high voltage (110V, 220V) is a plus
- Working knowledge of regulatory requirements is a plus (US and International: UL, CE, etc)
- Experience in working with contract manufacturers in Asia is a plus
KEY ATTRIBUTES NECESSARY FOR SUCCESS:
- Strong critical thinking
- Inquisitive and self starter
- Attention to detail
- Can-do attitude
- Prioritization skills to work on “Important but not urgent”
- Excellent communication skills, including communication with English as a second language
- Flexible team player
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or equivalent degree.
- Concentration in Smart Products, Mechatronics, Robotics is a plus.
PERKS AND BENEFITS:
- Rare and Exceptional Experience:
- Exposure to and elbow-deep experiences in what it takes to bring a physical product to market
- Involved in and eventually lead product development all the way through: from initial conception to display in retail store
- Small, fun and dynamic environment
- Competitive PTO plan
- Generous restricted stock option plan
- Health, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Unlimited specialty coffee beans
- Close proximity to Mission district and BART stops in San Francisco
The location of this opportunity is in San Francisco, CA.