Packaging Designer Contractor
Fellow is looking for a full time 3 month packaging designer contractor (minimum 40 hours a week) to help with development, execution, and production of both new and sustaining packaging. In collaboration with Fellow’s design lead and marketing director, this position will conceptualize potential design solutions based on brand and product strategy provided for all new packaging. This role is extremely hands-on in conceptualization, design, and brand development and requires strong collaboration, self management skills, and extreme attention to detail. This role requires packaging design experience in a professional setting, from concept through to production.
- Conceptualizes creative brand expressions that align with current packaging design language and address brand and product strategies as it relates to packaging.
- Creates designs that are both engaging customer experiences and align with Fellow’s business strategies. Thinks about the full unboxing experience from shipping container to instructions.
- Ability to build upon current packaging design language for new products. Looks for ways to make improvements while staying true to the current brand guidelines.
- Makes regular updates to current packaging for derivative and international products.
- Partner closely with brand/marketing to support key messaging and design objectives for all projects.
- Create presentations and in-house packaging mock-ups for internal presentations.
- Project manage timelines with Brand, Product Development, and Operations to ensure that all packaging standards are developed, maintained and adapted as needed. Responsible for making sure projects are on time and within budget.
- Use understanding of printing methods to produce final print ready files and work with factories to review press checks and ensure quality standards are met.
Required Skills + Experience:
- BA, Graphic Design or Industrial Design degree preferred. Must have 4+ years of packaging (design/sourcing) experience
- Must have in-depth knowledge of the packaging development process, experience defining print specifications and finishes; sampling, costing, testing, pre-production, etc.
- Must be an expert in all design fundamentals: typography, composition, color, layout, and attention to detail. As well as have a working knowledge of photography, art direction, and branding as it pertains to print and packaging materials.
- Expert skills with design software, primarily the Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign) and their use for packaging design.
- Must be very detail oriented, able to prioritize tasks, delegate appropriately, edit your own work, and able to work under pressure with multiple deadlines and shifting timelines
- Possess knowledge and willingness to learn about packaging structures and materials (no engineering knowledge or experience required)
- Experience defining print specifications and finishes and creating print ready files.
- CPG packaging and production design experience (highly preferred)
- A plus if they are proficient in 3D/CAD software (eg. Cinema 4D, 3D Studio Max, Solidworks, Rhino), Rendering software (eg. Houdini, Keyshot), or Google Sketchup.
- A plus if they have sustainable/green packaging experience.
All applicants interested please email email@example.com with resume and portfolio. Portfolio must show packaging experience, if not please send PDF examples.