PRODUCT MANAGER, ELECTRICS
Do you want to take your professional experience beyond a sliver of responsibility like concepts generation, making prototypes or creating presentations? Do you want the responsibility to develop a product that is actually manufactured and used by thousands of people everyday?
Fellow is looking for a devoted product manager like you.
Fellow’s mission is to help people perfect their ‘liquid craft’ by marrying professional knowledge, relevant functionality and thoughtful design. From the outside, Fellow makes high-end coffee equipment for the world’s best baristas and home enthusiasts. But peeking under the hood reveals many intertwined endeavors that make up the brand, which may help you understand Fellow’s growing attention and future growth ambitions.
Fellow is a small but ‘real’ company: revenue generated via product sales, products available at on- and off-line retailers like Crate & Barrel, Williams Sonoma, West Elm, Amazon, and distributed internationally in over 40 countries. The products have won numerous design awards like international RedDot design award, are featured at MOMA design stores, and available in hundreds of the best cafes across America. Our physical retail store in the heart of Mission district, San Francisco, serves to be a playground to experiment and redefine what ‘customer experience’ really means as a brand; a mashup of a design museum, cooking class, and cafe. International barista champions as well as cafe staff choose Fellow products as their de facto tool of choice, which is a proof that our products are professional grade and friendly to a broader audience.
Fellow team is small but made up of dedicated individuals who bring our own ‘craft’ into the profession: sales and marketing, brand, design and engineering, and cafe operations. Collective experiences come from Blue Bottle, Oracle, IDEO, Intuitive Surgical, GoPro, and Stanford Graduate School of Business, just to name a few.
Born out of a passion in craft, boosted via Kickstarter campaigns, and gained relevance and adoption by professionals and the community, Fellow is at a phase change moment to propel the company forward while deeply grounded in products, brand, and operation.
Role and Responsibilities:
As Fellow’s product portfolio expands beyond kettles into other areas of home electrics, this person plays a significant role as an early member of Fellow’s engineering team. Scope spanning across developing Fellow’s next products to analyzing product misbehaviors, the engineer will have hands-on ‘elbow deep’ involvement, wearing many hats along the entire product development cycle. Significant professional growth is expected.
- Product Development: initiate and own new product development.
- Research: analyze competitive landscape, understand regulatory requirement, investigate technical root cause, and provide recommendations.
- Manufacturing and Quality Control: support production at contract manufactures, incorporate process improvement, document quality control SOP, own sustaining engineering for current products.
5+ years of hardware experience in consumer electronics, power tools, home appliances (or similar relevant industry).
- Electrical engineering system architecture
- Component selection and board layout
- Control systems
- PCB design and review
- High voltage circuitry (110V, 220V)
- Working with contract manufacturers in Asia
- Chinese language skills are a plus
- Reliability testing experience is a plus
- Working knowledge of regulatory requirements is a plus (US and International: UL, CE, etc)
Key Attributes Necessary For Success:
- Strong critical thinking
- Inquisitive and self starter
- Attention to detail
- Can-do attitude
- Prioritization skills to work on “Important but not urgent”
- Excellent communication skills, including communication with English as a second language
- Flexible team player
Bachelor’s or master’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or equivalent degree.
Concentration in Smart Products, Mechatronics, Robotics is a plus.
- Rare and Exceptional Experience
- Exposure to and elbow-deep experiences in what it takes to bring a physical product to market
- Involved in and eventually lead product development all the way through: from initial conception to display in retail store
- Small, fun and dynamic environment
- Competitive PTO plan
- Generous restricted stock option plan
- Health, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Unlimited specialty coffee beans
- Close proximity to Mission district and BART stops in San Francisco
Please email email@example.com with resume and cover letter.