PRODUCT MANAGER, HARDWARE
Do you want the responsibility to take a product from concept to production, that is manufactured and used by tens of thousands of people everyday?
Fellow is looking for a devoted Product Manager like you.
Fellow’s mission is to help people perfect their ‘liquid craft’ by marrying professional knowledge, relevant functionality and thoughtful design. From the outside, Fellow makes high-end coffee equipment for the world’s best baristas and home enthusiasts. But peeking under the hood reveals many intertwined endeavors that make up the brand, which may help you understand Fellow’s growing attention and future growth ambitions.
Fellow is a small but fast growing company: revenue generated via product sales, products available at on- and off-line retailers like Crate & Barrel, Williams Sonoma, West Elm, Amazon, and distributed internationally in over 40 countries. The products have won prestigious design awards like international RedDot design award, are featured at MOMA design stores, and available in hundreds of the best cafes across America. Our retail store in the heart of Mission district, San Francisco, serves to be a playground to experiment and redefine what customer experience really means as a brand; a mashup of a design museum, cooking class, and cafe. International barista champions as well as cafe staff choose Fellow products as their tool of choice, which stands as proof that our products are professional grade while being friendly to a broader audience.
Fellow team is small but made up of dedicated individuals who bring our own ‘craft’ into the profession: sales and marketing, brand, design and engineering, and cafe operations. Collective experiences come from Blue Bottle, Apple, Oracle, IDEO, Intuitive Surgical, GoPro, and Stanford Graduate School of Business, just to name a few. Born out of a passion in craft, boosted via Kickstarter campaigns, and gained relevance and adoption by professionals and the community, Fellow is at a phase change moment to propel the company forward while staying deeply grounded in design, brand, and operation.
Role and Responsibilities:
As Fellow’s product portfolio expands, this person plays a significant role as an early member of Fellow’s engineering team. The engineer will have significant ownership, wearing many hats along the entire product development cycle. Significant professional growth is expected.
Responsibilities may include but not limited to:
- Product Development: initiate and own new product development and R&D.
- Design: Work closely with our design partners to develop new award winning industrial design.
- Research: analyze competitive landscape, understand regulatory requirements, investigate technical root cause, and provide recommendations.
- Manufacturing and Quality Control: support production at contract manufacturers, incorporate process improvement, document quality control SOP, own sustaining engineering for current products.
3-5+ years of hardware experience in consumer electronics, power tools, home appliances (or similar relevant industry).
- Successfully launching products in the past
- Design of mechanical systems
- Industrial design, or managing top industrial design partners
- Manufacturing methods including injection molding, metal stamping, sheet metal, casting, etc.
- Working with contract manufacturers in Asia
- Chinese language skills are a plus
- Reliability testing experience is a plus
- Working knowledge of regulatory requirements is a plus (US and International: UL, CE, etc)
Key Attributes Necessary For Success:
- Strong critical thinking
- Inquisitive and self starter
- Attention to detail
- Can-do attitude
- Prioritization skills to work on “Important but not urgent”
- Excellent communication skills, including communication with English as a second language
- Flexible team player
Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, Industrial Design, Industrial Engineering, or equivalent degree.
Perks And Benefits:
- Rare and Exceptional Experience
- Lead product development all the way through: from initial conception to mass production
- Small, fun, fast growing, and dynamic environment
- Competitive PTO plan
- Generous restricted stock option plan
- Health, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Unlimited specialty coffee
- Close proximity to Mission district and BART stops in San Francisco
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with resume and cover letter.