An affogato is the perfect summer pick-me-up or a delicious way to impress dinner party guests with minimal effort. Usually, a traditional affogato takes the form of a scoop of vanilla gelato or ice cream drowned in a hot shot of espresso. But if you’re not the proud owner of an expensive espresso machine, how are you going to pick yourself up in the summer or make a fancy dessert for your great aunt?
Have no fear. Prismo is here! Swooping in with another one of his superpowers to save the day, our mighty AeroPress® Coffee Maker attachment is an affogato-making superstar. Well, we like to call it an “affauxgato” since Prismo technically makes espresso-style shots.
Our sales manager Jake Mix invented this recipe one afternoon in the Playground, and the team has been hooked ever since. Classic vanilla ice cream is the go-to, but our dairy-free Fellows used Ben & Jerry’s Non-Dairy Chunky Monkey from the corner store and the results were off the charts.
But enough chit-chat, time to check out the how-to for Jake’s famous Prismo “Affauxgato” recipe!
1. Dose out 20 grams of whole bean coffee. If you happen to own a Stagg Pour-Over Dripper, you can also load the beans to the “single dot” measurement inside of its ratio aid instead. No scale required!
2. Heat water in your pour-over kettle to 212°F and grind beans on a very fine setting. We did ours at 1.5 on the EK43.
3. Twist Prismo onto the bottom of your AeroPress® Coffee Maker and dump in the grinds.
4. Add 50 grams of the 212°F water into your AeroPress® Coffee Maker and stir vigorously for 15 seconds. Let sit for one minute.
5. During the one minute brew time, add one heaping scoop of vanilla ice cream to your cup or mug.
7. After one minute of brew time, plunge the AeroPress® Coffee Maker over the ice cream.
8. And enjoy!